Welcome to the Animal Health Institute
The Animal Health Institute (AHI) represents companies with an interest in veterinary health. Our members develop and produce the medicines that help our pets live longer, healthier lives and contribute to safe food by keeping food animals healthy.
Since our inception in 1941, AHI has helped create an environment that fosters robust research and development of innovative and needed veterinary medicines. AHI member companies further the discovery, development and approval of medicines that promote animal health in a research-driven industry.
We work to ensure a science-based review of products and encourage continuing research and development in the area of animal health. We represent our members by advocating for animal health issues, including efficient and effective FDA, USDA and EPA regulatory and approval processes.
In 2009, the Animal Health Institute launched an educational initiative – Healthy People. Healthy Animals. Healthy Planet. – to educate the public on the disease-prevention continuum: By using medicines to keep animals healthy, we can keep humans healthy, too. Building on the “One Health” philosophy of addressing issues at the nexus of human and animal health, the program is uniting stakeholders in the pet, agriculture, veterinary and public health communities with this common goal.
As part of the campaign, AHI established a Scientific Advisory Council to provide leadership and counsel to the initiative. The Council represents a cross-section of some of the world’s leading experts in the areas of veterinary science, food safety, public health, nutrition, education and research.
The award-winning campaign has been recognized by industry leaders year after year. Awards include:
- 2011 Golden ARC Award, Best PR Campaign
- 2012 Golden ARC Award, Tactics Division – Digital and Social Media: Websites
- 2009 Magellan Award, #1 U.S.-based community relations campaign under $1 billion
- Gold medal for best overall campaign
- Ranked among the top 50 campaigns of the year
The Animal Health Institute is committed to:
- Effectively advocating for our members and affiliates with government agencies in order to create a stable regulatory environment based on sound science.
- Serving as a reliable resource for up-to-date, factual information regarding important animal health topics and industry news.
- Promoting and encouraging continuing research and development in the area of animal health.